Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sharper than a serphents tooth...

What started off as a promising day ended so badly.

On Saturday, I took the 2007 tax paperwork for myself and my father to my accountant. My taxes were, as usual, done in no time flat because I am a anal retentive nerd and I keep my records current all year long.

After a long conversation with the accountant, we filed the taxes for 2007 for my father with an extension and I left the office determined to get the documents I needed to complete his taxes for 2005 and 2006.

I then ran my other errands and then stopped my father's house to make a note of the final repairs that needed to be done before the house was ready to sale.

The home was filled - and I do mean full - with furniture. There was clothing and appliances and sheets and towels and lots of furniture.

Imagine my shock in entering a house that I had worked so hard to clear out only to find it full again. For a second, I thought that I stepped into a time warp and found myself in the past. Then I actually looked at the stuff and noticed it's a lot better quality than anything my dad ever had and realized I was still in the present.

Imagine my further surprise when I checked the locks, and found that they were all secured. The keys were recently changed and I had not yet dropped off the new set to my father. I had no idea how this stuff got into the house.

I walked outside (I had no idea whether some random person would be entering the house) and called my father. It turns out his friend, Gary, wants to purchase the house and moved right in despite the fact that the house has not gone on the market and that I have not finished clearing it out.

The stupidity in selling a home not to the highest bidder but the only bidder is staggering. Not to mention it makes it infinitely more difficult for me to clear the house out when I have to work my already crowded schedule around a tenant.

I decided that this, added to the long list of other problems, is reason enough to rescend the power of attorney and let my father wallow in the storm of drama that he seems to enjoy so well.

No comments: