Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Scary Happenings

I encountered something Friday night while I was driving home from work that truly shocked me. I was less than a mile from my home, when I saw several boys (perhaps 5 or 6) beating up on one other young man. There were several adults standing around staring at the fight and doing abosultely nothimg.

I slowed down my car, honked my horn, and screamed that I was calling the police. That seemed to have little concern for the bullies as they just kept pounding away.

Having been the victim of several school yard pranks as well as having been tormented by the "mean girls" on several occassions, I have very little patience for bullies. Six against one is unfair and really angers me. I struggled with whether or not I should get out of my car and try to break the fight up. Unfortunately, I don't think the odds of one woman against a bunch of young teenagers are very good so I stayed in my vehicle.

I called the police who asked me eleventy million questions (although, in reality, I may have been on the phone with them two minutes or so) before they sent out a squad car. The whole thing was quite upsetting and does not give me much faith in other adults.

No comments: