Thursday, December 3, 2009

Daddy Drama

If there is one thing I have become tired of in the few years since I have taken over as power of attorney for my father, it is the daily drama factor. Like many people on his side of the family, my father does not embrace the notion that, ‘the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.’ Anytime my father can take the most circuitous and time-consuming route, he will.

The opinion of anyone with a penis always overrides what I think. It takes forever to finish the simplest of tasks, and I literally have some errand/task to perform for him everyday in addition to managing my own life.

Right now, his home is in escrow. One mortgage company has agreed to the short sale. The other mortgage company is trying to put him in foreclosure.

In addition to that, I recently found out my father was diagnosed with cancer. His radiation treatments have already started. Since multiple breaks from work to deal with my own health problems and his issues has depleted my savings, I really cannot take anymore time off. He attends the treatments on his own. He has a shuttle service that takes him to the hospital.

It is a shuttle service he already uses, and they are highly unreliable. Fortunately, the American Cancer Society has a low-cost shuttle that is available to senior citizens. They will pick my dad up from his board and care and take him to the hospital. Unsurprisingly, my father has decided on another option.

He plans to relocate for 5 weeks to a furnished apartment near the hospital. This might work for someone that is independent. I cannot figure out how my dad plans to bath and feed himself. He cannot do this task on his own, and I am not moving with him.
I found out about this yesterday. The move happens this weekend. I think I am just going to turn my phone off.

No comments: