Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Two Weeks Later...It's Finally Done

My washer and dryer died one Sunday. I put a load in amd ran to the post office to mail some things. When I got back, both the dryer and the washer were through their cycles. They never ran again. Had I known my appliance would pass away while I was gone, I would have taken the time to say a fond farewell before running out to purchase more stamps.

The next day was Monday, and I said a small prayer as I traveled to the CompanyName Repair Center on my lunch break to purchase a replacement unit. The CompanyName Repair Center has a back room where slightly dented and dinged appliances are on sale for half price. Imagine my dismay when I arrived at CompanyName Repair Center to find there was hardly anything left.

You'd think with the economy being so horrid that fewer people would be purchasing appliances. Not so! There was barely anything left. My freshman year in college, we had an irritating classmate that managed to piss off the entire floor out first month there. We waited until she left for work one night and removed everything from her room. We even took the thumb tacks from the wall. The room was as bare as it was the day she moved in. That room had more stock than the CompanyName Repair Center.

Still, all I needed was one stacked washer and dryer and that is what was there. CompanyName Repair Center had one stacked washer and dryer for sale. I snapped it up with only a cursory examination, and went back to work aglow with the knowledge that my new machine would be delivered on that Wednesday and I could commence with my laundry.

Wednesday rolled around. I worked from home to wait on the delivery people. They never showed up. They did call 15 minutes before the end of my delivery window to say they good not make it; it's always nice to pass along information at the last possible minute. I made arrangements for them to come Friday.

I had the joy of working from home again on Friday - fewer interruptions - and my washer and dryer arrived, but I had to send it back. Why? What I purchased was gas, and my town home is entirely electric. For a brief second, when the delivery guys told me the problem, I tried to think of something marvelously witty to say to keep from looking like a complete idiot. I failled. I know stoves can be gas, but it never occured to me that a washer/dryer could run off gas too.

I paid the delivery fee and gave them money to take my new machine back to the store (there was a fee), and then drove over to CompanyName Repair Center to get my refund. I checked their storeroom on a whim, but the only washer/dryer in stock was the one I just returned.

I hoofed it over to a proper CompanyName store and purchased a machine for full price. Much to my dismay, there were no sales and no rebates. It was very disappointing. You'd think that with the economy tanking, CompanyName would be offering incentives. Nope! Apparently, they are still moving stock.

I discovered that when you pay out the nose for something, CompanyName is more than happy to deliver on a weekend. I scheduled a Sunday drop off.

Sunday rolled around. The guys from CompanyName arrived. They took the old machine out to the truck. They brought in my new washer/dryer, started to connect the new machine, and then all hell broke loose. The welding on the pipe gave away, and the pipe that fed water to the machine fell on the floor. The water was still on, so we all got a good spray, as did the rest of the room. I turned the water off, and made the obvious suggestion that a plumber would be in order before they could finish hooking up my new machine.

CompanyName called me to schedule a new time for the installation and suggested that, in the future, I should turn the water off. Thanks for the tip, guys! Too bad you did not tell me that before. I've done exactly one washer/dryer installation in my life. A little more upfront advice is always appreciated.

The plumber was not able to make it until the next day. I hauled my dirty clothing over to my parents' place - I was experiencing a severe shortage in clean everything - and spent the rest of the evening wash clothes and bemoaning my fate.

Fortunately, my plumber is both prompt and capable. He installed a new copper tubing, connected the washer/dryer, and called me over for a test run. We discovered that the outlet was not working. The old machine had been plugged into the 120-volt outlet. The new one used a 240-volt outlet, and this sucker looked like it had been dead for some time.

I called the electrician. He came out. It took about 3 hours for him to discover the problem and fix the issue. I was finally back in business.

No comments: